- Multi Step Simulation- Lodent Precision
- Forming Simulation- Corsair F4U
- Forming Troubleshooting- Die Engineering
- Step Optimization- Die Engineering
- Thinning Prevention- Viking Tooling
- ANSYS Simulation- Premier Tool Design
- Forming Troubleshooting- AFC Tool
- First Tryout Success- Minnesota Tool & Die
- Tool Design Testing- Die Enginnering
- Forming Troubleshooting- Malben Engineering
- Forming Troubleshooting- Williams Tooling
- Forming Simulation – Ustun Makina
- Metal Product Development- Rover Australia
AFC Tool Solve Splitting Problem Case Study
The client provided the product design and tool design data, and they requested a virtual tryout of the draw process. The product design was having issues with splitting during the manufacturing process, and the goal of the virtual tryout was to determine if the splits were expected, or if they were caused by other unknown influences.
Figure 1: Rendered Product Geometry and Tooling
Figure 2: Tooling
As per the tool design, no draw beads were used with a square blank. The lower binder traveled down under the applied binder force.
Figure 3: Formability
The outputs from the simulation show that simulation matches reality and that splits are predicted.
Figure 4: Actual Part Photo
This problem could have been avoided by using simulation before tooling fabrication. Although not reported here, thanks to simulation, a solution to the problem was developed and present to the client to resolve the splitting problem.